Cooper's shop B-28
Year of construction: approx. 1840-1850.
Stone houses were one of four basic types of buildings in Greenland during the period 1830-1910. A stone house was made by layering granite fieldstones that were bonded together with mortar. In addition to serving as accommodation, these buildings were used for workshops, warehouses, churches, schools and production facilities.
The B-28 building is not officially dated, but on the collar beam on bay IV there is a painted inscription “Jens 19. august 1863.” However, the building is most likely older, dating somewhere between 1840 and 1850.
In the 1950s, the building was used as a cooper’s house to make barrels for whale oil. In later years, after the trading of whale oil ceased in Maniitsoq, the building served as a storage depot for deposit bottles. Around this time, it may have also been used as housing for a Danish carpenter.
Year of reconstruction: 1970
Year of preservation listing: 1982
Since the building was made part of Maniitsoq Museum, it has been used as a boiler room, a storage facility for artifacts and an archive.